Dell I5000 and x.org or xfree86-4.4

Barney Wolff barney at databus.com
Sat Aug 28 12:00:58 PDT 2004

Has anybody with a Dell Inspiron 5000 gotten it to work with X.org or
XFree86-4.4?  In both cases, the panel is black, the backlight is on.
The display adapter is putting out a signal, because hooking a crt up
shows the usual screen.  Changing resolutions with ctl-alt-+ does no
good - it changes on the crt but the panel stays black.  XFree86-4.3
works fine on this laptop, even under 6-current as of 8/25/04.  Another
use has the same experience so it's not just broken hardware.

Switching between lcd/crt with the Fn-key does no good either.  That
works in text mode and in XFree86-4.3 but in -4.4 or xorg the crt goes
on and off but the panel never lights up.

I've tried -4.4 with the XFree86.config from -4.3 and with no config,
and x.org with no config and adding a modeline to the generated config,
to no avail.

All versions detect the native panel resolution of 1400x1050.

This problem is not unique to fbsd - the Fedora2 install cd behaves
identically.

Please cc me on replies, as I'm not subscribed to the list.

Thanks for any insights,
Barney Wolff