libX11.la ???

Michael Nottebrock michaelnottebrock at gmx.net
Mon Aug 9 03:06:48 PDT 2004

On Monday 09 August 2004 11:04, Peter Ulrich Kruppa wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I am running a recent -CURRENT with xorg and came across this
> problem:
> one port (/x11-wm/metacity) requires libx11.la to build, which
> can be produced by /x11/libX11 , but the latter conflicts with
> xorg.

Metacity should not really need libx11.la to build. What likely happened is
that a dependency of metacity picked up libx11.la when it was present in your
filesystem (perhaps installed due to a bug in a xfree/xorg package or because
you yourself have experimented with the single libX* ports at one time).
Libtool generates dependencies on libtool-archives (.la files) if it finds
them, and things break if they're subsequently removed.

> What can I do?

You need to find out what port exactly introduces the dependency on libx11.la
and recompile it. Most likely the dependency is recorded in a .la file itself
- try find /usr/local/ -name \*.la | xargs grep libx11.la and find /usr/X11R6
-name \*.la | xargs grep libx11.la and see if anything turns up.

   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi at freebsd.org