XFree86 4.4 - an attempt on upgrading ports

Dejan Lesjak dejan.lesjak at ijs.si
Fri Apr 16 20:15:20 PDT 2004

On Saturday 17 of April 2004 02:19, Jung-uk Kim wrote:
> On Friday 16 April 2004 10:20 am, Tilman Linneweh wrote:
> > BTW, I uploaded an updated tarball of your changes to
> > http://people.freebsd.org/~arved/stuff/xfree44-ports.tar.gz
> >
> > With the following changes:
> >
> > * Jung-uk Kim <jkim at niksun.com>:
> > - patch to build the XServer on AMD64
> >
> > * arved:
> > - Build shared libXau (for AMD64)
> > - Remove LATEST_LINK from imake, (there is only one left)
> >
> > * michael johnson <ahze at ahze.net> PR: 65277
> > - make imake respect CC, CXX, CPP
> >
> > You might want to add this to your CVS Repository.
>
> I downloaded your tarball and updated little bit.  Here are the
> changes:
>
> - remove useless xc/config/cf/FreeBSD.cf patch
> - replace xc/config/imake/imakemdep.h patch with official one from
> XFree86 CVS for diff reduction
> http://cvsweb.xfree86.org/cvsweb/xc/config/imake/imakemdep.h.diff?r2=3.73&r
>1=3.72 - add the above patch to devel/imake/files for correct build
> - move patch-amd64 to x11/XFree86-4-libraries/files to make it global
> - build DRI on AMD64
> - packaging fixes for AMD64
>
> However DRI is useless on AMD64.  FreeBSD agpgart does not support VIA
> K8T800 chipset, which I have, correctly.  I wrote the driver myself
> but I found it's useless because XFree86's DRI drivers for Radeon and
> MGA, which I happened to own, have serious bugs. :-(  DRM/DRI doesn't
> really work on AMD64 because there is no AGP driver for AMD64 on-CPU
> GART, AMD-8151, VIA K8?800, nVidia nForce3, or SiS 755 chipset.  BTW,
> I am planning on testing Linux's DRM on my box just to make sure it's
> really DRI driver's fault.  Actually I was waiting for anholt to come
> back to fix these issues and ports. :-)
>
> Any way, thanks a lot for your work!
>
> JK

Excellent. This last version apparently fixes the problem with killing server
by ctrl+alt+backspace. I have nvidia fx 5200 and had the same problem as
arved at first. Even worse, when I tried startx (instead of just X) the
screen would go flashing in a way that probably shortened life of an old,
even otherwise molested monitor. After your changes startx works and I can
kill it. I'll play some more tomorrow after I search amd64 mailing lists and
similar why network appears to freeze now and then.

Anyway, I've added these changes to
http://www.ijs.si/software/freebsd-local/cvsweb.cgi
and made a new bundle here:
http://www.ijs.si/software/stuff/xfree44-ports_20040417b.tar.gz

I hope you don't mind if I took a bit different approach for pkg-plist - I
added a new variable %%AMD64_I386%% which is supposed to mean amd64 or i386.
For dri I just fixed the plist, rather than generating it with find, because
I'm not sure if if this is the right approach regarding updating and such
(someone might put some file there as a note or something; or one could use
some 3rd party driver).
I should also fix list of manpages for alpha, but I'm too sleepy now.

Also about the pkg-plist in -Server: perhaps the approach taken in
emulators/linux_base with separate files for each architecture might be more
elegant.

I hope I wasn't too verbose and thanks again for patches.

Dejan