Need an environment for dynamic web content for freebsd.org

Murray Stokely murray at stokely.org
Tue Mar 18 05:23:33 UTC 2008

Our static XML/SGML based infrastructure is really showing its age for
some types of web content.  One example is the way we keep track of
proposed ideas for student projects or other nascent development
projects.  It would be great to have a dynamic web app which displays
all the different ideas in different categories, with searching
functionality, and most importantly, with some kind of voting
functionality so that others could vote and comment on proposals.

The current process of manually editing the XML files and then waiting
for the web build to make the changes live is error prone, tedious,
and doesn't allow voting or validation of individual ideas.

Does anyone have experience running a php based voting/ideas board
that we could use for summer of code project ideas and other
experiments?  Ideally we'd run this as an experiment on a separate
server, as we did with wikitest.freebsd.org for years, and then maybe
move it to official freebsd.org machines at a later date.

Any takers?

       - Murray