RFC: changes for the website

Gabor Kovesdan gabor at FreeBSD.org
Mon Mar 5 09:35:43 UTC 2007

Hello,

please comment about these two proposed changes:

Change 1: on the website we have a "Report a Bug" link, which leads us
directly to the PR form. Imho, this is not wise, because all submitters
should read the most important guidelines first. We have a lot of weird
PRs with questions that should just be sent to the mailing lists, or PRs
with too less information or with wrong category. Not quite often, but
we also get non-English PRs as well. If all users read the
support/bugreports.html page, these would probably not happen so many
times, and the Bugmeister Team had less to do. We also have www/97233
about this, and Remko also showed interest, bugmeister@ is CC'd by his
request.

Change 2: the PR query form has changed recently, and we have 3 links on
support/bugreports.sgml, which point to the same place. Well, actually 2
of them point to query-pr-summary.cgi and the third one points to
query-pr.cgi, but we see the same form in the three cases. I think it
would be cool to merge them into one entry on bugreports.html, but I'm
not sure what's the difference between the two cgi scripts, what they do
differently. Shaun is CC'd because he knows much about the cgi script
and probably can explain me. There's www/97234, where the submitter says
the current order of the links is odd, and he would prefer changing the
order of the links. What I propose would also solve his concern.

I made a patch for the two changes, it is available here:
http://gabor.t-hosting.hu/patches/www-rfc.diff
As I said, I'm not sure the latter is correct, but it would be nice to
make it simpler.

Regards,
Gabor