www/111229: Usability improvements for bug search query page

Victor Engmark victor.engmark at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 14:00:12 UTC 2007

>Number:         111229
>Category:       www
>Synopsis:       Usability improvements for bug search query page
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
Being able to efficiently and (most importantly) effectively search bug reports is very important for users to contribute and check up on any problems they are experiencing. Here are some suggestions for how the current system can be approved - All IMHO and vulnerable to flaming :)

Major stuff:
- It should be possible to search using the "OR" operator, having the results ranked according to how many terms they fit. In fact, making this the default would give that nice fuzzy Google feeling to the results.
- It should be possible to specify /which/ single / multi-line input fields that should be searched. Having to know + remember which fields are single / multi-line is cumbersome.
- The "responsible" field should work with substrings, not just "starts with". E.g., searching for "wpau" and "wpaul" give the same results, but "paul" gives nothing...
- The "responsible" field should work with full names and emails, if available.
- Most of the selection boxes should be multi-selection, to be able to do broader searches.

Minor stuff:
- Using <abbr> can help usability and accessibility when dealing with unfamiliar abbreviations (PR / GNATS).
- Using <label> gives the user a bigger area to click on in order to focus an input field.
- The "title" attribute can be used to give "tooltips" to users.

I could help with the web development part of this if you'd like.
>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
Bugzilla already does most of this stuff. I'd suggest to use it if possible.