Fw: PR mentioning FreeBSD

Joseph Koshy joseph.koshy at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 21:11:17 PDT 2006

> Matt has a good point.  Anybody have time to add this to the
> right places?

Google News reveals that there have been approximately 2 or
3 FreeBSD related products being announced every week (i.e.,
products that are either appliances based on FreeBSD, or packages that
run on FreeBSD, like the Win4BSD product
mentioned in this thread).

Clearly, these press releases are good advocacy material
for the project, but being corporate press releases, they
tend to mention FreeBSD only in the passing (if at all).

The question then is, where do we place this material:

 - "press.xml" usually contains press articles referencing
   the FreeBSD project and its derivative projects.  I.e.,
   it has a project-centric focus.  Adding corporate press
   releases here would clutter it up.

 - we have a rather boring commercial section that lists
   corporate entities that are offering products and
   services related to FreeBSD.  We usually add
   entries here only on request (e.g., a PR being filed),
   and appliance makers may not care about being listed
   here anyhow.

My gut feel is that we should have a separate page in
the advocacy section listing such 3rd-party announcements,
with perhaps an auto-generated column listing the top 'n'
such announcements on the front page of our website.
Such an arrangement would help the advocacy folks too,
since it would bring this information "in focus", as
opposed to be being buried among other material.

--
FreeBSD Volunteer,     http://people.freebsd.org/~jkoshy/