www/94593: AMD64 Motherboard Page Update - MSI K8NGM2-L

Mark Kane mark at mkproductions.org
Fri Mar 17 18:37:02 UTC 2006

Pav Lucistnik wrote:
> Synopsis: AMD64 Motherboard Page Update - MSI K8NGM2-L
>
> State-Changed-From-To: open->suspended
> State-Changed-By: pav
> State-Changed-When: Fri Mar 17 10:12:32 UTC 2006
> State-Changed-Why:
> You have to run FreeBSD/amd64 to be included on amd64/motherboards page.
> Maybe, one day, someone will start FreeBSD/i386 motherboard list...

I understand now. However, it was a little confusing because initially I
thought that page was for listing motherboards that worked with the
amd64 version of FreeBSD like you said it is. This board wasn't on the
list, however I had to buy it in a rush and thought that since the list
was listing the boards that worked with the amd64 version of FreeBSD
that it would probably work with the i386 version (which has to be run
anyway for the user's Flash). In other words, I guess I thought that the
i386 version was a little more mature and that any problems listed on
that page were for the amd64 version of FreeBSD with those boards.

When I got the hardware installed and went to try things with FreeBSD, I
noticed some problems similar to other boards on that page with the same
chipset. Then I thought that the page was a list of boards on the
hardware side that took amd64 CPU's and that could run FreeBSD
regardless of being the i386 or amd64 version. That's why I submitted it.

I was wrong about a couple things but the machine is running very
smoothly now. I had a sound card and NIC from the previous configuration
all ready to go and it's all performing flawlessly with those and ACPI
disabled.

Sorry about the confusion.

-Mark

P.S. As a side note, I have an amd64 Giga-Byte board that is listed on
the page and it's running great on my main workstation with
FreeBSD/amd64. I love the amd64 version but this user really needs
Flash, so that's pretty much the only reason the i386 version is being
run on this new MSI board.