Rendering problems with translated FreeBSD webpage (was: What am I doing wrong?)

Fabian Keil freebsd-listen at fabiankeil.de
Sun Feb 26 08:20:12 PST 2006

Kövesdán Gábor <gabor.kovesdan at t-hosting.hu> wrote:

> Kövesdán Gábor wrote:
>
> > Fabian Keil wrote:

> >> I just checked with Firefox 1.5 and IE 6.0 under Windows and didn't
> >> notice any unusual problems. Are you sure it isn't a problem on
> >> your browsing machine? Do you have a second system to check?

> > Yes, I checked with an old machine and it was almost fine with IE
> > 4. This is very strange. The first version was completely fine for
> > me, too. I can't find out what's the problem.

> I've installed Mozilla, and the webpage was okay. Then I looked at
> the old one:
> http://tux.t-hosting.hu/old/data/
> This was weird even with Mozilla. I clicked at the Back button and
> now the new one was wrong either! I'll go insane. :S

This could be a caching problem, try again with a clean cache.

> Could you also check the old one with Firefox and IE 6, please?

Looks good in Firefox and IE6 in my default settings,
but I noticed that if I enable JavaScript in IE6, the page
is rendered without style sheets as it is in your screen shot.

In Firefox JavaScript doesn't seem to have any effect though.

My wild guess is that the problem is caused by the JavaScript
based style sheet switcher together with the character
encoding. BTW IE doesn't even allow me to save the page.

Fabian
--
http://www.fabiankeil.de/