CSS 1.X vs. 2.X attributes

Fabian Keil freebsd-listen at fabiankeil.de
Mon Oct 10 06:48:55 PDT 2005

Giorgos Keramidas <keramida at freebsd.org> wrote:

> # Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 13:21:17 +0300
> # From: Giorgos Keramidas <keramida at ceid.upatras.gr>
> #
> # On 2005-10-10 12:03, Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav <des at des.no> wrote:
> # >Giorgos Keramidas <keramida at ceid.upatras.gr> writes:
> # >> How about specifying a minimum of 765px and then a width of 75%?
> # >>
> # >> 	min-width: 765px;
> # >> 	width: 75%;
> # >>
> # >> That should do the trick.

I believe:

min-width: 75%;
width: 765px;

would be better, as it doesn't break the layout if the browser
window is small and the browser doesn't handle min-width.

I assume that in most cases people with big monitors use
newer browser versions than people with small monitors.

Therefore broken layout in older browsers with small window
sizes will hurt more people than useless white space in older
browsers with big window sizes.

Nevertheless I still think specifying absolute width is wrong
and 75% isn't high enough.

Fabian
--
http://www.fabiankeil.de/