I miss my Handbook link! :)

Simon L. Nielsen simon at FreeBSD.org
Fri Oct 7 01:44:30 PDT 2005

On 2005.10.07 10:37:19 +0200, Christian Brueffer wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 07, 2005 at 12:44:55AM -0700, Murray Stokely wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 07, 2005 at 09:38:05AM +0200, Simon L. Nielsen wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm not so sure about the ports link.  I agree that the Ports
> > > Collection is very important for FreeBSD, but frankly IMO our /ports/
> > > pages sucks, as has been discussed at least a few times in the past...
> >
> > Yes after reviewing the /ports pages, I agree.  For now I just added
> > the Handbook, which clearly belongs, and removed the duplicate
> > platforms link.
>
> Indeed, /ports sucks.  On the other hand freshports.org is _really_ nice.
> I know we mostly avoid linking to external pages, but I think it would be
> worth considering it in some cases.

I suggsted this here and on ports@, probably half a year ago (not
really sure), but several people really didn't like this.

Some because of the potential problem with depending on a
non-FreeBSD.org site for all the web based ports information, which I
see the potential issue with I just don't consider it a big problem,
and some because they simply prefer to simpler layout etc. of /ports/
compared to freshports.

--
Simon L. Nielsen