[FreeBSD-Announce] FreeBSD Project Launches Improved Website

Ian Smith smithi at nimnet.asn.au
Wed Oct 5 20:23:24 PDT 2005

On Wed, 5 Oct 2005, Murray Stokely wrote:

 > The FreeBSD Project is pleased to announce the launch of a new website
 > today.  Please visit http://www.FreeBSD.org and let us know what you
 > think.  The new design was created by Emily Boyd, a student at Smith
 > College that we had the pleasure of working with through Google's
 > Summer of Code program.

No offense meant to Emily, but I think it's a major downgrade.

 > We hope you find the new website both easier to navigate and more
 > aesthetically pleasing.  We look forward to improving the site further
 > over the coming weeks as we work to bring a fresh face to the FreeBSD
 > web presence.

Firstly, anyone with an older browser is going to have problems like:

JavaScript Error: http://www.freebsd.org/layout/js/styleswitcher.js, line 40:

document.getElementsByTagName is not a function.
JavaScript Error: http://www.freebsd.org/layout/js/styleswitcher.js, line 27:

document.getElementsByTagName is not a function.
JavaScript Error: http://www.freebsd.org/layout/js/styleswitcher.js, line 40:

document.getElementsByTagName is not a function.
JavaScript Error: http://www.freebsd.org/layout/js/styleswitcher.js, line 40:

document.getElementsByTagName is not a function.

Secondly, I had to bounce around all over the place just to find things
that were previously accessible from the home page - eg, PORTS, FAQ ..

 > You may also still see the old design for our website archived at:
 >   http://www.FreeBSD.org/old

I hope it stays there, and stays updated, until the new page provides
the same one-stop functionality that we've long enjoyed till now.

And I see the religious nutters have had their way with Beastie!

So far, disappointed.

Cheers, Ian