Huge fixed-width fonts on web mailing list archive

Fabian Keil freebsd-listen at fabiankeil.de
Fri Nov 4 08:15:03 PST 2005

Emily Boyd <soc-emily at freebsd.org> wrote:

> >>Maybe Emily could look at this problem.
> >
> > The problem seems to be caused by global.css:
> >
> > pre {
> >   font-family: monospace;
> >   font-size: 1.4em;
> > }
> >
> > Deleting the font-size line should be enough.
> >
> > I think there is no reason to increase pre's
> > font size above the default.
>
> There is actually a reason for that line.
>
> Without that compensation, pre text ends up tiny on the majority of
> browsers/platforms (try it and see :)

That's because the default font-size already is much to small
in the first place.

If the style sheets wouldn't set the font size below 100% there
would be no problem.

> It sounds as though the Firefox default configuration under FreeBSD is
> changing the size of pre. I'll have to see if there's a workaround;

Firefox allows the user to limit, how small the font size can be set.
My minimum font size is 14px, therefore annoyances like "font-size:
69%;" can't render the page unreadable.

> simply removing the line will fix Firefox on FreeBSD, but then
> there'll be a worse issue with the text being unreadable on most
> browsers/platforms. I'll look into this further.

As far as I can see, nearly unreadable font sizes already
are the default.

IE displays the font much too small, but if I try, I can
still read the content. I don't see a big difference
between the usual font size and the <pre> font size.

On Beonex the <pre> font size now is even smaller
than before, but who is still using Beonex anyway.

A clean work around would be to stop setting
the font size below 100%. Everything else means
working on the symptoms.

Fabian
--
http://www.fabiankeil.de/