The best scripts ever (trick or treat)

Remko Lodder remko at FreeBSD.org
Tue Nov 1 11:46:10 PST 2005

Gary Kline wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 01, 2005 at 09:08:58PM +0200, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
>
>>There's no good reason to copy two lists at the same time for this.
>>Please remove -questions from the Cc: list of the thread :-/
>

> 	I see that the -questions addr is gone.
>

> 	This is to those on the -www list; the issue is
> 	having a separate page or two of /bin/sh scripts
> 	that do X, Y, Z.
>
> 	I realize the time involved if hundreds of shell
> 	hackers submit their favorite scripts.  But if it
> 	sounds worth trying, there could be a scripts
> 	index.php|html page with a few categories to start.
> 	Each script must be submitted with:
>
> 	CATEGORY: system admin
> 	FUNCTION: backup [using tar and bzip] files.
> 	FEATURES: optional use of --exclude
>
> 	etc.
>
> 	A shell or perl script could probably strip the
> 	mail and convert it to web-ready format.  Having
> 	many (*proven*) scripts would be a major++ for
> 	sysadmins.  At least.  Ok, I'll get off my soapbox.
>

> 	Feedback?
>
> 	gary

The idea seems good (imo) but i am not sure how it should be
done. I'd guess it first needs a tryout on something else
then a FreeBSD server, (the way like many projects started
and are now more and more supported by the crowd).

my little input...

--
Kind regards,

      Remko Lodder               ** remko at elvandar.org
      FreeBSD                    ** remko at FreeBSD.org