FTP files for 5.2.1-Release

Murray Stokely murray at freebsdmall.com
Thu Apr 21 12:17:57 PDT 2005

On Wed, Apr 20, 2005 at 07:41:06PM -0600, Jeff Lofgren wrote:
> I have noticed that the directories for 5.2.1 RELEASE are no longer on any
> FreeBSD FTP server (including mirrors).
> Was this intentional?  The web site still allows you to search for 5.2.1
> ports and applications, and tries to link to the appropriate FTP files,
> which don't exist.  (more frustrating is the loss of SYSINSTALL usability
> and PKG_ADD -r)

Hi Jeff, each release of FreeBSD requires that the mirrors host over
10gigabytes of packages for i386 alone, along with base system and 4+
architectures for each release.  We have very few mirrors that are
capable of hosting 5.2.1, 4.11, 5.3, and 5.4 snapshots with package
sets and multiple architectures for each.  For that reason they were
removed from ftp-master but those individual FTP hosts with space
available were encouraged to continue hosting the release.

5.2.1 should still be available on some FTP sites.  Try the mirror
services as mentioned in the releng FAQ at the bottom of

  http://www.FreeBSD.org/releng

	- Murray