Free BSD

David Wolfskill david at catwhisker.org
Fri May 7 15:19:28 PDT 2004

>Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 07:24:03 -0500
>To: dhw at FreeBSD.org
>From: Gerald Kruchten <ghklionheart at ameritech.net>
>Subject: Free BSD

>Dear Sir,

>	I have been surfing and searching the FreeBSD web site for a "general
>e-mail contact address" and couldn't find it if there is one.  I could not
>figure out who else that I might contact regarding this issue, so I am
>e-mailing you.  If you are not the correct authority to write to, then
>maybe you will at least be able to refer me to the person or persons that
>is/are.

OK; I'll Cc: www at freebsd.org; I think some of the folks who subscribe to
that list will find this of interest.  (And for the record, that
approaches the upper limit of my influence over the content of the Web
pages in question:  my primary role within the FreeBSD project is as
postmaster at .  And in that role, the best address to use to reach me is
postmaster at freebsd.org -- that address is one I treat specially (immune
from a large variety of anti-spam filters, for the most part), while
dhw at freebsd.org is just a normal address @freebsd.org.)

>I had been surfing the FreeBSD web site to find the local location
>as to where I might obtain the FreeBSD power pack locally.

I'm jumping ahead a bit at this point -- I cheated and read ahead.  And
I don't see anywhere that you actually specify where "locally" is for
you as of the time of the writing.  I could glean some clues from the
message headers, but I know enough about mail and networks to know that
such clues would be tenuous, at best.  (As a case in point, the machine
on which my message is being composed is in Redwood City, California; at
this time of day, I would normally be at work in Fremont (CA), but on
Fridays, I generally work remotely.  And at this moment, my body happens
to be in Pacifica, California.)

>The site
>indicates that CompUSA carries the product, but the product is not on the
>shelves of CompUSA, it is no longer listed in their intra-store on-line
>catalog, nor is it listed as a product on CompUSA's web site that your
>site's link refers us to.  Are you aware of the fact that CompUSA no longer
>carries your product?  If so, is this just a temporary thing?  If it is not
>temporary, is there any place where I can pick up the package
>locally?  Also, if this is not a temporary situation, FreeBSD's web site
>needs to be updated and made current.

I think the www@ folks are better able to cope with this issue than I
am.

>	Whether or not you might have any specific information for any of these
>questions, I would very much appreciate your response.  I am almost certain
>that if you don't have the answers, you will know who has them and who it
>is that I must then contact?  Thank you for your time.

I'm pleased to be able to help, even if the stated problem isn't
resolved yet.

For what it might be worth, I believe I purchased a copy at Micro Center
(Santa Clara, CA -- near Mission College), but that was a few years ago.

And Fry's may carry it.

>														Sincerely,
>														Gerald Kruchten
Peace,
david       (current hat: postmaster at freebsd.org)
David H. Wolfskill				david at catwhisker.org
I do not "unsubscribe" from email "services" to which I have not explicitly
subscribed.  Rather, I block spammers' access to SMTP servers I control,
and encourage others who are in a position to do so to do likewise.