www/69780: query-pr-summary.cgi generates very large html

Jie Gao gaoj at cpsc.ucalgary.ca
Thu Jul 29 17:10:27 PDT 2004

>Number:         69780
>Category:       www
>Synopsis:       query-pr-summary.cgi generates very large html
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD aibsd-current 5.2-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.2-CURRENT #0: Thu Jul 15 10:00:38 MDT 2004 gaoj at aibsd-current:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/AIBSD i386

The web page generated by query-pr-summary.cgi is very large. Today, my visit
to http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr-summary.cgi resulted in a 1702446-byte
html file. This is a bit too large for the people with slow internet connection.

Visit http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr-summary.cgi with a www browser
>Fix:

I think the size can be reduced by doing the following:

1. Move the individual 'style="background-color: #ffffff"' code for each <td>
   to a central style sheet, and define it for td. Only override the cells that
   need different background color. This could save about 700000 bytes (almost
   40%).
2. Move the individual 'style="text-decoration: none;"' for the <a> tags to a
   central style sheet, defining for "a" tag directly. This could save about
   120000 bytes.
3. If we strip the spaces at the beginning of the lines, we can reduce the size
   with a further 90000 bytes.

Totally the above measures can make the result less than half of the size now.