Someone modifies From: field of mail and send them to lists.

Ceri Davies ceri at FreeBSD.org
Wed Feb 25 02:06:32 PST 2004

On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 05:01:05PM +0900, Sangwoo Shim wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Recently I've received couple of "Your message to freebsd-foobar awaits
> moderator approval" messages. The lists were freebsd-www, freebsd-newbies,
> freebsd-sparc64, and freebsd-test. Surely I didn't send them(spams) to the
> lists. It seems that some bad guy modifies its From: header to mine and sent
> spams to lists, which is quite annoying. Now I've canceled all the messages
> as instruction said.

I've been getting them too.  They're actually addressed to lists that I
am subscribed to, and not to me.

> Actually I didn't unvail my e-mail address except an send-pr some months ago.
> I think spammers are collecting emails from pr page and abusing them.

I think it's much more likely that they are harvesting on freebsd-bugs@,
where most PRs get sent automatically (they all end up on one list or
other).  A quick look doesn't show much evidence of this happening via
the webserver.

> Can the pr pages be modified to convert originators' email like this:
> someone at somewhere.com -> someone at somewhere.com ?

While this could possibly be done on the webpages, it will never happen
within the database itself and therefore will not stop address
harvesting from the mailing lists, so I suspect it would be ineffective.

Ceri