EMBOSS User Survey & Requirements (post-RFCGR closure)

Jon Ison survey at rfcgr.mrc.ac.uk
Tue Aug 17 07:52:16 PDT 2004

Dear EMBOSS Administrator,

I'm writing to raise awareness, feedback and support for the European
Molecular Biology Open Software Suite, EMBOSS
(http://www.rfcgr.mrc.ac.uk/Software/EMBOSS/), support for which is
currently under threat (see below).  If you've already received
this message then please accept my apologies for the interruption.

The UK Medical Research Council is to close the Research and
Bioinformatics Divisions of the Rosalind Franklin Centre for Genomics
Research (RFCGR) in mid-2005. RFCGR is the current home of the EMBOSS.
The closure will more than halve the current EMBOSS development team
and will therefore adversely affect the development and support of
EMBOSS.

We hope that alternative sources of funding can be found. It would help
EMBOSS tremendously if you complete our on-line survey

	http://www.rfcgr.mrc.ac.uk/Software/EMBOSS/emboss_survey.html

and provide a link to our survey on your website where you provide
EMBOSS.  The replies will help us gain support for EMBOSS and steer
the future development of the project down lines suggested by you.

The other ways you can help are to distribute this message to any
colleagues and students who might be interested and write a letter
of support (please see survey for address).

Many thanks for your consideration.

Jon Ison (RFCGR), on behalf of the EMBOSS developers

Alan Bleasby (RFCGR)
Peter Rice (EBI)