Are the PR statistics graphs correct?

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Thu Apr 22 20:26:15 PDT 2004

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004, Tom Rhodes wrote:

> We have a ton of really good developers who put a lot of time and
> effort into FreeBSD.  But to those who have never worked on an
> operating system or large software project, the PR base might
> give them a reason to argue our abilities.  Sad, but true.

There is a 'peanut gallery' of people who think that FreeBSD is
archaic, or has a Bad License Religion, or is run by an Evil
Conspiracy, and any number of other equally silly things.

We can never satisfy those people: I've spent some effort down
that line, and am currently "retired" from that role after having
come to that conclusion :-)

But what we _can_ do is keep the spirit of openness that we
currently have, both to keep relations good with our current user
base, and to attract new ones that can read between the lines of
the FUD.

Obscurity, in this case, would simply give the conspiracy-theorists
more ammunition.  I think it would be a real mistake.  Let's keep
the transparency we currently have on this issue.

mcl