request for removal of mailto:

Tilman Linneweh tilman at arved.de
Sat Oct 4 03:01:02 PDT 2003

* Motoyuki Konno [Sa, 04 Okt 2003 at 03:15 GMT]:
> "Simon L. Nielsen" <simon at freebsd.org> wrote:
>> As far as I know there is no simple way to do this at the moment.  That
>> said, I also think in general that "the damage is done" since the email
>> address is out there in many email achieves on the web.
>>
>> I don't think it makes much difference for the spammer harverster
>> programs, if there is a mailto: or not when the email address is there
>> (of coure I don't know for sure, but I doubt it).
>>
>> In the long run I think you would be much better of installing a spam
>> filter (like SpamAssasin).  I catches more than 99% of the spam I get.
>>
>> Sorry that I can't give you a better answer.
>
> There are many people who can not endure receiving many spams
> (ex. dialup ppp, slow connection, ...).  If we do nothing on
> this problem,  some people may think that "If I submit PR,
> I will receive many many spam.  So I will not submit PR."
> It's not good.
>
> I propose to do followings:
>
>     o  delete "mailto:" tag
>     o  use "username at foo.org" instead of "username at foo.org"
>
> Any comments?

I feeded the email address of Tadashi Yanagihara into Google and got 2 hits:
	1. Freshports	not an official FreeBSD.org site, but Dan could
	probably implement some mailaddress crippling if he wants.
	2. His universities homepage publishes his Emailaddress without mailto

Feeding it into Google Groups I got 4 hits:
	1. Newsgroups mirroring cvs-all and cvs-ports.
	To pipe followup discussions to the PR orginator would require
	generic emailadresses like PR-no at gnats.freebsd.org. Bugzilla has
	this feature. But i am not sure if GNATS supports this feature.

	2.  Newsgroups mirroring freebsd-bugs and freebsd-ports.
	One possible Implementation would be to replace all reporters addresses
	with freebsd-gnats-submit@ but this isn't 100% safe as the email
	addresses could be in CC too:

I would like to point out, that send-pr already contains a warning:

SEND-PR: BE ADVISED THAT FREEBSD PROBLEM REPORTS ARE PUBLIC INFORMATION AND
SEND-PR: WILL BE PUBLISHED AS-IS ON THE PROJECT'S MAILING LISTS AND WEB SITES.
SEND-PR: DO NOT SUBMIT ANY INFORMATION YOU DO NOT WANT MADE PUBLIC.

Perhaps we can add to this warning, that PUBLIC INFORMATION includes the From:
Emailaddress.

regards
tilman