David Wolfskill david at catwhisker.org
Thu May 1 16:47:11 PDT 2003

OK; this is a lightly-edited compendium of the relevant (IMO) discussion
on the topic so far.  I've tried to be clear about who wrote what.  [dhw]

>Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 23:40:03 +0100
>From: Ceri Davies <ceri at FreeBSD.org>
>To: David Wolfskill <david at catwhisker.org>
>Cc: www at FreeBSD.org

>> >Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 10:25:01 -0700
>> >From: Peter Wemm <peter at wemm.org>

>> >Its probably best to ask the www/doc folks what the arrangement is supposed
>> >to be.

Part of Peter's response that I had elided was:

...  The mailing list description from majordomo was:

FREEBSD-WWW                               CLOSED List

A mailing list that allows you to send mail to the Webmasters,
the managers of FreeBSD Project web servers (not web servers that
hosted on FreeBSD computers).

>> OK, www@ folks:  what is your pleasure on this?

>I was under the impression (until seanc told me otherwise about 4 weeks ago,
>as he was trying to subscribe) that www was an open list anyway.  Do you know
>who was looking after this before the move to mailman ?

I do not.

[I (dhw) no longer find the old majordomo configuration to check it.]

>Also, are current subscribers to the freebsd-www@ list committers (or similar)
>only?  If not, I can't see any reason not to open the list to all subscribers,
>but really we need to establish who has been approving subscription requests
>all this time and ask them what grounds they were basing approval and denial on.

>Ceri
>--

>Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 18:40:16 -0400
>From: Tom Rhodes <trhodes at FreeBSD.org>
>To: Ceri Davies <ceri at FreeBSD.org>
>Cc: david at catwhisker.org, www at FreeBSD.org

>*mumble* I still think that freebsd-www should be merged into freebsd-doc *mumble*

>--
>Tom Rhodes

>Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 00:51:06 +0200
>From: "Simon L. Nielsen" <simon at nitro.dk>
>To: Ceri Davies <ceri at FreeBSD.org>, David Wolfskill <david at catwhisker.org>,
>   www at FreeBSD.org

>Well previously mortals have been able to subscribe - at least I have
>been on www for some time... :-)

>--=20
>Simon L. Nielsen

Gven the above, it seems to me that at least one of

* opening www@ up to all subscribers or

* making www@ and doc@ refer to the same list

is what is wanted.

I can do the first trivially.  I'm a little less certain about the
second.

Do we need special authority/dispensation to do this, or should I just
go ahead and open up www@ (and approve the pending subscriptions) now?

Thanks,
david       (current hat: postmaster at freebsd.org)
David H. Wolfskill				david at catwhisker.org
Based on what I have seen to date, the use of Microsoft products is not
consistent with reliability.  I recommend FreeBSD for reliable systems.