FreeBSD Applications

Gene Mosher gene at viewtouch.com
Thu Jul 10 10:33:06 PDT 2003

I'd like to make a suggestion for extending the claims made on a couple
of the FreeBSD web site, specifically

here...
http://www.freebsd.org/applications.html
in this part of the page
"Here are some examples of the environments in which FreeBSD is used:"

and here...
http://www.freebsd.org/commercial/software_bycat.html

I'd like to suggest that you add Point of Sale to the general categories
already listed.  My company, ViewTouch, does offer point of sale (POS)
software & systems which are based upon FreeBSD, of course, and I had a
whole lot to do with inventing the graphical POS software genre in the
first place, but my point, really, is that POS is a truly huge industry
segment worldwide.  There are millions upon millions of computers
running POS software and tens of millions of people using POS software
all day long in their jobs.  It's my feeling that this fact should be
reflected in the parts of your web site where it is appropriate, on the
pages I've indicated.

Point of Sale software will soon be extended and transformed into what
I'll call Point of Purchase Environment software.  That's what I'm
inventing these days in this, my 25th year of POS software development.
Customers will themselves be operating touchscreens in all kinds of
hospitality environments worldwide, in restaurants, lounges and hotels,
in a way which is analogous to people checking themselves into their
flights with touchscreens at airports now.

Because of X, by the way, ANY application with graphics is automatically
a touchscreen application, even if the person who wrote the application
wasn't thinking of it.  That doesn't mean that it's a GOOD touchscreen
application, but that's a different issue.  All it takes is a
touchscreen display, something which virtually all of the LCD
manufacturers are offering as an option today, and something which,
after 3 decades, finally only adds a small amount to the cost of the
display, greatly increasing the value and usefulness of the display by
turning it into an input device which can be operated by virtually
anyone with no training whatsoever.

Perhaps you would even want to create a general category called
Interactive touchscreen systems, of which POS is merely one type.  At
any rate, I have thought about this a lot, I think it is the right thing
to do, and I think that since FreeBSD is being used in this exciting new
way, and is being used by the company that was there giving birth to
this segment 20-25 years ago, I therefore am comfortable and hopeful in
making this suggestion.

Gene Mosher
ViewTouch
(already in the FreeBSD Gallery, by the way)