XHTML and the website

Paul Richards paul at freebsd-services.com
Sun Apr 6 05:27:16 PDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-04-06 at 10:53, Ceri Davies wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 05, 2003 at 01:49:18PM -0800, Murray Stokely wrote:
> > What are the benefits of the full transition?  What cool new XML tools
> > will this allow us to use?  How will this enhance the look and feel of
> > the website?  etc..
>
> I don't know that there would be any other benefits; all this would get
> us is a web site that validates.  Perhaps someone else more familiar with
> the tools available could offer a suggestion, but in my opinion XHTML, by
> it's very nature, is lacking most of the benefits of XML anyway.

It's maybe a bit pedantic but one of the strengths of this project has
always been that we "do things right", therefore getting our website to
be xhtml compliant is a worthy goal. Just as we try to keep our code up
to the highest standards our web site should also match current web
standards.

It will have some benefits, if the pages pass validation tests then we
can be sure that it renders correctly in all browsers that correctly
implement the standards.

--
Paul Richards <paul at freebsd-services.com>
FreeBSD Services Ltd