XHTML and the website

Tom Rhodes trhodes at FreeBSD.org
Sat Apr 5 07:29:53 PST 2003

On Sat, 5 Apr 2003 16:17:20 +0100
Ceri Davies <ceri at freebsd.org> wrote:

> All,
>
> Initially, apologies for the cross-posting.  Now that's out of the way:

Sometimes a cross-post cannot be helped.

> In August last year, a commit was made to change the website to XHTML, and

That was mine.  I did this in hopes that it would help with some web
browsers.  Perhaps this needs to be thought about more, based on what
you have found out below:

> since then, all the documents built from SGML have been happily announcing
> in their DOCTYPE declaration that they are XHTML 1.0 Transitional.
> However, with the exception of the front page of the web site, they aren't;
> none of them validate.
>
> I've started working on getting them to validate.
> It's not difficult, it's just donkey work really, and I don't mind doing it,
> but now that I've finished www/en/*sgml I'd like to get some feedback before
> I go any further.

Perhaps we should ask doceng@ if they think all this work is worth
the hassle.  I'm not going to fight for my commit to stay in if it
will cause anyone else headaches.  I'm very easy to get along with.

--
Tom Rhodes