hostapd + freeradius can't connect

Johann jhugo.meraka at gmail.com
Thu May 21 20:07:09 UTC 2015

The radius server I tested with has all our company configs on it, so I
don't want to tarball it.

To do a basic freeradius test with local user, the following should work.
Integrating will LDAP is a little bit more work

pkg install freeradius
You only need to edit 3 files in /usr/local/etc/raddb

vi users -> add the following to the end of the file:
"wifi"                          Cleartext-Password := "test"

vi clients.conf -> add the following to the end of the file:
client radtest {
         ipaddr                          = 146.64.5.0
         netmask                         = 24
         secret                          = test123
         require_message_authenticator   = no
         nastype                         = other
         shortname                       = 5net
}

vi  proxy.conf -> add the following to the end of the file:
realm LOCAL {
}
realm NULL {
}

run freeradius in debug mode:
radiusd -X

An android phone is usually a good test - configure the following:
PEAP
MSCHAPv2
identity - wifi
password - test