captive portal recommendation

Peter Lai cowbert at gmail.com
Wed May 13 22:47:46 UTC 2015

I've always hacked up NetReg (http://netreg.sourceforge.net/)  to do
this (it's written in perl). It lets you authenticate against ldap and
you should be able to hack in having registrations autoexpire (it may
already support that, I don't remember). You will have to setup dhcpd
and unbind on your own though - netreg basically is a frontend that
updates dhcpd.conf to assign registered mac addresses to a separate
dhcp IP pool and rehups dhcpd; the dhcpd config sets the
default/unregistered pool's nameserver attribute to a resolver which
will always resolves to the captive portal when the mac address is
unregistered; the registered dhcp pool provisions a nameserver that
does the proper resolution. Then add firewall rules to only allow the
registered block access to the outside.