Issues with urtwn

Nathan Whitehorn nwhitehorn at freebsd.org
Sun Sep 7 15:20:12 UTC 2014

I've been having some issues with connection stability in urtwn for
several months. The usual symptom is that after some period of time the
connection will apparently stall. If I'm running ping continuously, for
instance, it will at some point stop receiving replies. Then, sometime
later, immediately if I use the "reassociate" command in wpa_cli, the
connection will fix itself and all the packets I didn't get earlier get
delivered at once: hundreds of ping replies, for instance, some with
time stamps minutes in the past. No data is actually lost, though.

I think the issue is that the driver does not actually support powersave
mode (maybe it should?) but reports to the AP that it does:

 > ifconfig wlan0 list sta (this is on the AP)
ADDR               AID CHAN RATE RSSI IDLE  TXSEQ  RXSEQ CAPS FLAG
80:1f:02:cc:47:a9    1   11  11M  8.5    0   5526  55712 EPS AE      RSN

I don't know enough about wireless to fix this, but the AP waiting for a
powersave poll and never getting one seems consistent with the problem.
Is there a simple way just to disable advertising this?
-Nathan