ath0: device timeout on 9.1-RELEASE

Adrian Chadd adrian at freebsd.org
Fri Feb 15 20:15:33 UTC 2013

On 15 February 2013 12:09, Kamil Szczesny <k.s.mail at gmx.net> wrote:

> ehm, well.. ath0 seems to be, wlan0 however not:

Well, wlan0 is what matters.

I'm sorry, I can't be more help at the moment. I'm really busy making
other things work.

I'd use athstats -z (as root) and then watch your device associate.
See if the TX counter values increment.

There's also some further descriptor based debugging you can do if
you've compiled in ATH_DEBUG, but it gets very noisy very quickly.
Look at sys/dev/ath/if_ath_debug.h and enable XMIT (0x01) and
XMIT_DESC (0x02) by OR'ing them together (ie, 0x03 :):

# sysctl dev.ath.0.debug=0x03.

Then let it do some scanning/association and fail a few times, then
set it back to 0, and look at /var/log/messages.

That will log the descriptor setup and completion for each TX attempt
and it'll hopefully tell us whether it's actually being transmitted or
not.

Thanks,

Adrian