kern/175227: commit references a PR

Артём Морозов hoptoa at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 08:49:51 UTC 2013

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Adrian Chadd <adrian at freebsd.org>
Date: 2013/2/1
Subject: Re: Block ACK in Ralink RT2860
To: Ramanujan Seshadri <ksramanujan at gmail.com>
Cc: FreeBSD Net <freebsd-net at freebsd.org>, PseudoCylon <
moonlightakkiy at yahoo.ca>, freebsd-wireless at freebsd.org

Hi,

So the 30 second version:

* the maximum aggregation size in 802.11n is 65536 bytes, including
the between-frame delimiters;
* mpdu density defines how big those delimiters are - they're
calculated either in bytes or as a function of the currently selected
rate and duration, which ends up being a set of bytes anyway;
* some hardware may require extra delimiter time between frames to
"reset" internal frame processing between MPDUs. The atheros hardware,
for examples, sets the default mpdu density to 8 microseconds to allow
the encryption hardware to reset fully. It's only needed at the higher
rates, but I've not sat down and totally mapped out what behaviour is
there so I do it for all rates;
* .. and later atheros hardware has a minimum per-MPDU timing and
delimiters are added to that to "pad" out a frame to a minimum
duration in microseconds. Again, to meet timing requirements in the
chip;
* bawinsize is negotiated during ADDBA negotiation. The maximum window
size is 64 frames but devices may negotiate smaller window sizes if
they like;
* some hardware / drivers may limit the size of aggregates anyway -
eg, the ath(4) aggregation code limits the per-AMPDU size to 32 frames
even if the window is 64 frames. This is done to limit the effects of
poor reception. Again, I could do a smarter job of it in ideal(er)
situations but I've been focusing on other things.

HTH,

adrian

On 31 January 2013 16:48, Ramanujan Seshadri <ksramanujan at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am testing the driver code witht he ralink nic.  Yes the frame
> aggregation works, since i get higher throughput.  I am actually tryign to
> know how many frames (MPDU's) are aggregated each time in an AMPDU.
>
> Regarding the MPDU density - i was wondering how it should affect the
Frame
> aggregation. Since MPDU density is the time duration between each MPDU
sent
> within the AMPDU.  So, how does this matter to the hardware for
aggregating
> the number of frames. It just sends MPDU's with the set interval.
>
> The other two limits make sense, the BAWinSize and the MAX_LEN_CFG.
>
> Ram
>
> On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 5:45 PM, PseudoCylon <moonlightakkiy at yahoo.ca
>wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 1:20 PM, Ramanujan Seshadri
>> <ksramanujan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Thank you. I also wanted to know the function where the Block ACK
Window