misc/172955: [ath] 11n does not work in adhoc mode

Chuck Burns break19 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 21:29:32 UTC 2012

On 10/23/2012 2:23 PM, Adrian Chadd wrote:

> I'd really appreciate someone stepping in here. I'm trying to finish
> off the power save queue handling changes and then move to finishing
> correcting the ps-poll support. Then I have the whole TX and RX data
> and control path to jiggle around to make things (more) predictable
> and better behaved. I really don't want to stray from this. :-)
>
> Do I have to promise free hardware and t-shirts? :-)

I could be mistaken, but I was under the impression that adhoc only
supported B or G speeds, and that if you wanted N speeds, you have to
use STA rather than ADHOC.

I've heard this discussion outside of relation to FreeBSD, so I know
it's a well-discussed issue.  I also think I remember reading something
about certain chipsets supporting 11n in ADHOC mode, but only when
connecting to other chipsets. I think it was MAYBE an atheros chipset,
but I don't really remember -exactly- what I read, or where it was...

Here is a linux ath9k forum post regarding it:
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.drivers.ath9k.devel/2660 Seems to
indicate that 11n in ADHOC isn't supported there either.. Sooo....

--
Chuck Burns <break19 at gmail.com>