ath0: unable to attach hardware

husyh at hush.com husyh at hush.com
Thu Nov 1 00:04:35 UTC 2012

Hello,

I had a look at the PCI card. It looks like the manufacturer/OEM is "Anatel". The following two strings are printed on the board:
WN5301A-H1-V02
KN160562*7

There's a sticker on the card as well, showing
HP P/N: 5188-3742
Vendor P/N: WN5301A-H1

I tried to search for these strings to see whether I could get more information about the chips used, but I didn't find anything that looked helpful to me (but I don't know much about wireless hardware.)

I tried to do a verbose boot of my 9.0-RELEASE amd64 install by adding the lines
boot_verbose="YES"
kern.msgbufsize="655360"
to /boot/loader.conf - the latter line because it seemed like /var/run/dmesg.boot and the output of the dmesg program were incomplete, but even with this line, I assume the output still does not contain the whole boot process.

Also, I booted the 8.3-RELEASE i386 DVD, selected verbose boot, and once the installed showed up, started a shell, saw that ath0 still was not attached properly, and saved the output of dmesg (I hope this is what you wanted when you told be to use a live CD. If not, please give me more detailed instructions.) Booting 7.4-RELEASE i386 repeatedly results in a kernel segfault. If you want, I can try other versions and/or install FreeBSD instead of just working from the fixit shell, or try to re-download and burn 7.4-RELEASE i386.

I attached the two dmesg outputs to this mail, since they are rather large and I assume people don't want that lengthy e-mails on the mailing list (please let me know if I'm wrong.) Additionally, in case the attachments get stripped, they are accessible via the following URLs:
http://nopaste.info/fde038484e.html (/var/run/dmesg.boot of 9.0-RELEASE amd64)
http://nopaste.info/93e73796cc.html (dmesg output of 8.3-RELEASE i386)

Your help is very much apprechiated.