kern/163318: [ath] ath(4) stops working

Joel Dahl joel at freebsd.org
Sun Mar 11 20:10:15 UTC 2012

The following reply was made to PR kern/163318; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Joel Dahl <joel at freebsd.org>
To: Adrian Chadd <adrian.chadd at gmail.com>
Cc: bug-followup at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: kern/163318: [ath] ath(4) stops working
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 21:01:00 +0100

 Some news...

 I updated from a Jan 18 CURRENT to a Feb 19 CURRENT some time ago and the
 issue was gone. Adrian asked me to try to track down the revision that fixed
 the problem, and that's what I've been doing for the last two weeks.

 So I've been doing a binary search in order to nail the specific revision
 that fixed my issues with ath. The problem usually occur after 6-8 hours of
 uptime, but sometimes 30 minutes is enough. I've tested each revision twice.
 If it survived 12 hours of uptime, I rebooted the machine and let it run for
 another 12 hours just to be sure that each the revision really was OK. Same
 goes for revisions that dies - each time ath died I rebooted the machine in
 order to be sure that I could reproduce the problem again.

 Revision 231852 does not survive for very long. It dies as usual. I haven't
 been able to make any revision before 231852 survive longer than 8 hours.

 Revision 231854 has survived my 12 hour testing period 3 times and I haven't
 been able to crash any revision after 231854.

 Adrian, your commit to the ath driver (231854) seems to fix my ath problems.
 Does that make sense to you?

 --
 Joel