[net80211] support vendor bitmap entries; teach if_ath to export PHY error code in error frames

Adrian Chadd adrian at freebsd.org
Fri Feb 10 07:18:15 UTC 2012

Hi,

Please find the second pass of this attached.

Fixes:

* I was missing a call to ath_rx_tap_vendor() when processing normal frames
* I've extended the data stored in the radiotap vendor header to
include the EVM and per-chain RSSI.
* I'm also storing the _raw_ combined RSSI in the radiotap header.
* The rs_status and rs_phyerr_code fields are also stored.

The EVM isn't strictly needed for radar work and the only RSSI
required for radar is rssi_ctl[0] and rssi_ext[0] (with the combined
RSSI used in some instances.)

What's left:

* I have a need for some continuous feedback about how busy the
primary/extension channels are. I may add some method of encoding this
in the radiotap header as a vendor extension; I'm not sure yet.

I don't like the idea of doing this via radiotap but I need a way to
encode this live as part of the stream so it can be played back with
the rest of the radar error frames.

I'm not sure if I really _want_ this to be part of the default FreeBSD
build but honestly, having these as vendor extensions will make
debugging a few things a lot easier moving forward. For example, users
could begin writing live traffic sniffing applications that track
per-RX-rate EVM in userland and provide graphical feedback.

Bernhard: what do you think?

Adrian