iwn Centrino N-1030

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Wed Feb 1 15:03:20 UTC 2012

On Wed, 1 Feb 2012, Bernhard Schmidt wrote:

> Given an empty rc.conf (no wlan configuration) simply typing
> ifconfig wlan0 create wlandev iwn0
> ifconfig wlan0 up
> should be enough, the rc.conf counterpart should look like
> wlans_iwn0="wlan0"
> ifconfig_wlan0="up"
> (no IP in both cases obviously)
>
> Be aware, if you have something configured related to wlan0 in
> rc.conf, creating the wlan0 interface will invoke devd which will
> invoke /etc/rc.d/netif which will load the configuration. Just so you
> don't have to wonder why wpa_supplicant gets started without it being
> started explicitly.
>
> So.. if
> ifconfig wlan0 create wlandev iwn0
> ifconfig wlan0 up
> doesn't connect to any open network around, enable debugging with
> wlandebug 0xffffffff
> and post the results please.

Thanks. I commented out the related configurations from rc.conf (that
the sysinstall created) and rebooted.

After creating it, this was shown on console:
wlan0: Ethernet address: 72:89:ec:3b:1e

ifconfig wlan0 up didn't appear to bring anything up (even after waiting
some time):

$ ifconfig wlan0
wlan0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
        ether ac:72:89:ec:3b:1e
        nd6 options=29<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
        media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect (autoselect)
        status: no carrier
        ssid "" channel 12 (2467 MHz 11g)
        country US authmode OPEN privacy OFF txpower 15 bmiss 10 scanvalid 60
        bgscan bgscanintvl 300 bgscanidle 250 roam:rssi 7 roam:rate 5
        protmode CTS wme bintval 0

I did the wlandebug. The parts of /var/log/messages for this is at:
http://reedmedia.net/~reed/tmp/wlandebug.20120201a.txt
Less than one minute is over 3700 log entries.