Question: IEEE80211_RATE_BASIC versus IEEE80211_RATE_MCS ?

Adrian Chadd adrian at freebsd.org
Thu Apr 19 17:38:36 UTC 2012

Right, so we can treat ni_txrate as "don't interpret the basic flag on this."

Are you happy with a project to migrate rate's from uint8_t to an opaque struct?
That way we can:

* add basic, mcs flags;
* get ready for the 802.11ac rate configuration mess that's about to occur;
* leverage the compiler to tell us when we're trying to do something
like uint8_t <-> rate_t, rather than moving it to a uint16_t which the
compiler will automagically promote/extend as necessary.

It's probably quite ugly, but I think it's necessary to "grow".

Adrian