AP performance (again): txpower regulation

Lev Serebryakov lev at serebryakov.spb.ru
Thu Sep 8 14:52:19 UTC 2011

Hello, Adrian.
You wrote 8 сентября 2011 г., 18:38:36:

>>> Oi, he shouldn't be breaking regulatory requirements! :)
>>  I afraid, that 600mW card + 10dB antenna ALREADY out of regulatory
>> requirements, as it more than non-licensable 100mW :)
> You'd be very surprised how sensitive wireless NICs are.
> If this is just for a home access point then it's very unlikely you
> need a 600mW card.
> I get 130mbit from all places in my apartment .. with a non-high power
> 11n NIC. :)
  And I want to have at least 54Mbit with powerful card :) No luck :(
10Mbit TCP (21Mbit WiFi, I think) is upper limit everywhere but in direct
sight of AP antenna.

  Yes, I have 802.11n 2x2 card on my table ("conventional" one), but I
don't have pigtails for it! And nearest pigtails are in Honk-Kong.
I've ordered them two days ago, but delivery will be about 30 days :(

And some more results:

 (a)  13 channel is not seen by client, 11 channel is last what it could
 see, and it is worse than my 9 ch.

 (b) FreeBSD 9-BETA2 is more aggressive in selecting transfer rate:
 signal strength is the same, but "ifconfig wlan0 list sta" shows
 "54M" almost everytime, FreeBSD 8-STABLE shows from "11M" to "48M"
 from run to run.

 (c) Real throughput (iperf tcp or udp) is the same with FreeBSD 9 as
 with FreeBSD 8.

--
// Black Lion AKA Lev Serebryakov <lev at serebryakov.spb.ru>