Atheros 5212 based card causing system freeze - suggested replacement?

Geoff Roberts geoff at apro.com.au
Tue Sep 6 13:35:52 UTC 2011

Hi Adrian,

On Mon, 5 Sep 2011 11:29:51 pm Adrian Chadd wrote:
> Are you able to try booting 8.0-RELEASE or 8.1-RELEASE via CD, with
> only 2GB of RAM?

Issue is getting the 2GB RAM module - I may have a 2 GB stick in an older
system. I'll let you know how I get on.

> I don't have any further ideas, I'm afraid. But I'd really like to
> nail this down before 9.0-REL is working, so let's see if we can find
> a working setup.

I guess the other possibility is to try a completely different OS. If that
boots OK then we most likely have a software - or at least a hardware
initialisation problem via software. Would that be a worthwhile test. If so,
is there another CD bootable system that would be worth trying (I don't have
access to any Windows based OS)?

In the meantime, are there any PCI express based cards that you think would be
worth considering that could handle VAPs? I'd like to get the wireless network
up and running whilst we work on the Netgear card.

Kind regards,

Geoff