Ralink RT3090/RT2860

Matt sendtomatt at gmail.com
Wed May 18 06:49:52 UTC 2011

I recently was using a machine with this chipset.
I noticed there is a patch available from Alexandr Rybalko which
compiles successfully against current.

Seems to work great with rt3090 chipset, although device naming is poor
(ending a device name with 0 makes for confusion!). Stability is high
(better than my Intel Centrino 1000) and it appears ahdemo, monitor, sta
modes all work fine. A few dmesg errors which appear to result from
issues that are patched in both OpenBSD, Solaris & the official Ralink
GPL drivers (LNA Gain is ignored for 3090 and set manually).

What is the FreeBSD plan for this chipset? Is Rybalko's code still a
patch and not a commit due to licensing? Are we going to try to port
OpenBSD's ral to replace our own? It would also appear to be supported
by Solaris code, which appears to be slightly different than both
Rybalko's and OpenBSD's (which appear to share some heritage).

Matt