DFS STA/Hostap behaviour; issues!

Adrian Chadd adrian at freebsd.org
Mon Jun 27 09:33:51 UTC 2011

After bernhard and I discussed this a bit, we came to the conclusion
this is papering over bug/bugs.

So what I've discovered thus far:

* If a radar event occurs in CAC, another CSA doesn't go out - the AP
just changes channel
* If a STA receives a CSA for a DFS channel and the hostap enters CAC,
it doesn't immediately send beacon frames, so bmiss is never
triggered. However, because of this, if the hostap shuffles away to
another channel within the CAC time, the STA doesn't ever get an
initial beacon to configure the beacon config from, and thus the STA
never generates a bmiss; which means it never initiates another
channel scan.

Getting back to the original bug:

The hostap is actually sending the correct channel in the new beacon
frames but there's currently no code in sta_recv_mgmt() to update the
bss channel. That should occur (and similarly occur for ibss/mesh
modes as well.)

Adrian