support for RT2860 card?

Matt sendtomatt at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 18:20:28 UTC 2011

On 07/03/11 02:38, PseudoCylon wrote:
>> Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2011 18:52:45 -0700
>> From: Matt<sendtomatt at gmail.com>
>> Subject: Re: support for RT2860 card?
>> To: therion at ninth-art.de
>> Cc: Gavin Atkinson<gavin at FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-wireless at freebsd.org
>>
>> I've been working on the ral driver for rt2860 support. I posted a rough
>> patch a week or so ago, I'm going to post a better version hopefully
>> this weekend. In any case, run is USB only, ral is the correct driver.
>>   I've been lagging on the patch, work&  a new system to play took
>> priority :).
>>
> Yes.
> RT2860 == PCI ral(4)
> RT2870 == USB run(4)
>
> Actually, we have started re-porting OpenBSD's ral with rt2860/3090
> support. But I think everyone got busy and the project was stalled.
>
> I'm almost done adding HT support to run(4). Once I can confirm it
> works fine in hostap mode, I can lend you hands. Descriptors and
> registers are almost identical to each other. Though, I don't have the
> device.
>

> AK

All I really have left to do is get the functions lined up in the same
order as OpenBSD ral and make sure the version we have isn't missing
anything important from OpenBSD version, as well as assist future
porting efforts for upstream changes. Large sections are identical to
OpenBSD or modified to suit. There is also some inherent verbosity in
the code I'd like to move to a debug sysctl or something.

It works fine for now, but it's not long-term elegant. PCI attach works
well, and I haven't had any issues using it yet. However, the Wifi led
on this thinkpad does not light, but that seems to depend on whether the
card is Led + & -, or Led + & RFkill GPIO.

Now I have a desktop freebsd machine, which means more vertical space on
monitor, which hopefully means organizing a few thousand lines of code
better :).

I would not mind at all having more experienced eyes look at it and help
bring it up to snuff.

Thanks,
Matt