Ath works as module, not inkernel

Adrian Chadd adrian at freebsd.org
Mon Aug 1 02:08:49 UTC 2011

Hi,

On 1 August 2011 08:56, richo <richo at psych0tik.net> wrote:
> Hi -wireless,
>
> A while ago I posted with some issues with ath on 9.0-CURRENT, which were
> fixed by a patch someone posted to the list.
>
> A few weeks later, ath broke again and neither a vanilla kernel nor one with
> the patch worked, complaining of errors attaching HAL. Googling the terms
> turned up only results from 2008.
>
> I didn't have time to look into it so I ignored it, figuring that it would
> be
> fixed in due course and that I'd pull when I had time.

Well, if noone reported the issue and noone chases the issue up, it's
not likely to get magically fixed by itself. :)

> Over the weekend I spent some time on the problem, and it appeared that
> building ath support into the kernel was the issue, my config with
>
>> device ath
>> device ath_pci
>> device ath_hal
>
> (Apologies if that's not spelled correctly, I'm not actually in front of the
> machine)
>
> Doesn't load, however if I removed MODULES_OVERRIDE from make.conf and try
> load those modules, I'm told that it's already in the kernel.
>
> I also built GENERIC from the config in SVN and no luck.
>
> Finally, I removed those device lines from my config, built with all modules
> and enabled load_ath and load_ath_pci in loader.conf and wireless now works
> flawlessly.
>
> I'm now curious about why- and what I can do to know how to chase this up
> myself next time.

Well, can you please post boot messages, including the HAL load
failure information?

This isn't the first time I've heard about strange issues like this;
it almost always boils down to something strange in PCI/ACPI handling.

Adrian