RFC: supporting multiple hostap instances in /etc/rc.conf

Adrian Chadd adrian.chadd at gmail.com
Sun Apr 17 06:09:06 UTC 2011

Hi all,

I'd like to try and sneak in something to support multiple hostapd instances
before 9.0-REL is branched.

The problem at the moment is that there is only one hostapd instance inside
the rc script(s).

I'm not yet sure of the "right" way to do it. I was thinking of two ways:

* add a HOSTAP option (like WPA/DHCP) to ifconfig, which spawns hostapd with
the relevant flags
* modify the rc setup to take a list of named hostapd instances, complete
with differing config files, interfaces and flags.

What do people think? I'm happy to script it up and get it committed to
-HEAD, but I'd rather sort out the 'what' first before I spend time doing rc
script hackery.

Thanks,

adrian