intel3945 ahdemo/monitor mode error "ifconfig: create: bad value"

Adrian Chadd adrian at freebsd.org
Sun Apr 10 05:41:59 UTC 2011

Try this, just to ensure things are at least semi-working.

# ifconfig wlan0 create wlandev ath0 wlanmode monitor country <blah>
# ifconfig wlan0 channel <blah> up
# tcpdump -ni wlan0 -y IEEE802_11_RADIO

See if it gives you traffic.

I have no idea what "tap" interface airodump is using - I've only used
tcpdump as above to do wireless sniffing.

If that works, try the same in monitor mode with wpi instead of ath. Let me
know how it goes.

I remember Bernhard looking into ahdemo mode a while ago but I have no idea
where it got to.

Adrian