FreeBSD 13 on bhyve freezes under load

Christian Stærk xi at borderworlds.dk
Mon May 3 09:14:49 UTC 2021

Hello,

I recently upgraded one of my bhyve guests to FreeBSD 13.0-RELEASE. The
host is running 12.2-RELEASE-p4.

The guest in question is used for building packages with poudriere and
is always the first one to get upgraded to new releases.

The guest freezes consistently every time poudriere tries to build the
thunderbird package. Although it is not a complete freeze. It responds
to ping and programs like top and systat continue updating. However, all
I/O operations seem to hang.

systat looks like this when it happens:
https://borderworlds.dk/~xi/FreeBSD%2013%20frozen.png
<https://borderworlds.dk/~xi/FreeBSD%2013%20frozen.png>