Passthru a VF to Windows guest cause BSOD, chelsio T520BT, SR-IOV

銭万棚 wanpengqian at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 01:55:12 UTC 2020

Hi all.

I am trying to passthru a VF device to bhyve guest.
Host configuration:
SuperMicro X10SRM-F
XEON E5 1680v3, 128G RAM

root at fbsd13:~ # uname -a
FreeBSD fbsd13 13.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 13.0-CURRENT #0 r358902: Thu Mar
12 04:24:24 UTC 2020
root at releng1.nyi.freebsd.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/sys/GENERIC
amd64

I can create 2 VFs from host, one for host, one for passthru.

root at fbsd13:~ # cat /etc/cxl0.conf
PF {device:"cxl0";num_vfs:2;}
VF-0 {passthrough:false;}
VF-1 {passthrough:true;}

Both VFs are fine, VF0 on host can communicate outside and I can pass
the VF1 to a FreeBSD 12.1 guest, also works.

When I pass the same VF1 to Windows 10 guest, ver 1909, the guest got
BSOD during installation. I also try to add VF1 post installation.
also got BSOD.
the message is IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.
I also try Windows server 2012, during installation of Chelsio Driver, BSOD too.

Any suggestions? driver issue or bhyve issue?

Thanks.