Cannot run FreeBSD 11 as a vm-bhyve guest under FreeBSD 12

Rodney W. Grimes freebsd-rwg at gndrsh.dnsmgr.net
Sun Mar 1 15:58:12 UTC 2020

> Hello.
>
> I'd like to run a FreeBSD 11.3 VM under FreeBSD 12.1.
> As I'm already using vm-bhyve to run a Windows guest, I think the best
> (or possibly only) choice is to use bhyve for the FreeBSD guest too.
>
> I've got the following conf file:
>
> > guest="freebsd"
> > loader="bhyveload"
> > cpu=1
> > memory=512M
> > network0_type="virtio-net"
> > network0_switch="public"
> > disk0_type="virtio-blk"
> > disk0_name="disk0"
> > disk0_dev="sparse-zvol"
>
> Running "vm install -f f11b FreeBSD-11.3-RELEASE-amd64-disc1.iso", will
> boot the guest, but it will hang after a while with:
>
> > /boot/kernel/kernel text=0x1564b08 data=0x145330+0x4cdf30 syms=[0x8+0x16daf0+0x8+0x186a43]
> > Booting...
>  > |

> "vm stop" will stop it (through an ACIP shutdown) after a while.
>

> So I tried with UEFI; here's the config file:
> > guest="freebsd"
> > loader="uefi"
> > cpu=1
> > memory=512M
> > network0_type="virtio-net"
> > network0_switch="public"
> > disk0_type="virtio-blk"
> > disk0_name="disk0"
> > disk0_dev="sparse-zvol"
> > disk1_type="ahci-cd"
> > disk1_dev="custom"
> > disk1_name="/zroot/vm/.iso/FreeBSD-11.3-RELEASE-amd64-disc1.iso"
> > graphics="yes"
> > xhci_mouse="yes"
> > graphics_listen="192.168.xxx.1"
>
> Starting it with "vm start" and connecting through VNC, it goes through
> the same stages as above, but ends up with a blank screen with a white
> block cursor in the first column of the first row.
>

> Any hint on how to get past this?

THis again looks very much like the "lost console" issue of the system
flipping to a serial console and your trying to access it via a
graphical console interface.

One thing to try is to stop in the loader and do this:
boot_serial=NO
boot

--
Rod Grimes                                                 rgrimes at freebsd.org