Issue encountered booting FreeBSD STABLE and CURRENT snapshots with EFI

Kyle Evans kevans at freebsd.org
Fri Mar 23 13:06:03 UTC 2018

On Fri, Mar 23, 2018 at 3:56 AM, Joe Maloney <jmaloney at ixsystems.com> wrote:
> We narrowed the issue down to how vm-bhyve attaches a null.iso when starting
> the VM.

What exactly are the contents of this null.iso? It sounds like we're
just ultimately choosing the wrong partition to boot with the null.iso
attached. I'd be interested to see if a loader.efi built with D13784
[1] applied resolves this both replacing /boot/loader.efi initially
then while installed on the ESP.

Do note that I'm pretty sure we still had some small outstanding
issues with D13784's loader.efi being installed as /boot/loader.efi
(with console handling), so it may not be a good long-term solution,
but this should hopefully land in the not-so-distant future.

[1] https://reviews.freebsd.org/D13784