error running grub-bhyve with -S

Peter Grehan grehan at freebsd.org
Sat Oct 24 03:13:26 UTC 2015

>> The -S option will force allocation of guest memory (required by
>> passthru). Is there 1G of free mem available on the machine when
>> grub-bhyve was run ?
>
> Hi, thanks for the response. Yes, the machine had something like 6GB
> free (not including cache/buf). I also tried running grub-bhyve with
> smaller memory values down to and including 32MB (just to see if it
> would work, not because I expect my VM to run with that), and without
> a -M flag (which, IIRC, defaults to 256MB). I always got the same
> error.

  I can get that error if vmm.ko isn't loaded, but in that case the
bhyvectl command would also error out and it doesn't appear to in your case.

  Some questions: Is this on FreeBSD CURRENT ? Does grub-bhyve work
without the -S option ? Or, with -S but a different VM name ? Does the
issue persist after a reboot ?

later,

Peter.