bhyve machine not starting after upgrading

Andrea Brancatelli abrancatelli at schema31.it
Fri Oct 31 00:05:11 UTC 2014

>> Type '?' for a list of commands, 'help' for more detailed help.
>> OK show
>> LINES=24
>> boot_serial=1
>> console=userboot
>> currdev=zfs:repository:
>> interpret=OK
>> loaddev=zfs:repository:
>> prompt=${interpret}
>> rootdev=disk0p2
>> smbios.bios.vendor=BHYVE
>> OK
>
> How about if you set loaddev to disk0p2, and see if that allows a boot ?

“loaddev" seems to be a read only property… :(

> Another solution, though not pretty, is to build a version of userboot that doesn't have ZFS enabled. Modify sys/boot/userboot/userboot/Makefile and remove the MK_ZFS section, and copy userboot.so from the build to /boot/userboot.so and the host. This should give you back the behaviour from 10.0.

OK, I had no sources to compile so I did a very bad thing and I know I’ll go in hell for this but…

I copied userboot.so from another FreeBSD 10.0 machine and substituted /boot/userboot.so from the host. Restarted the VM and it worked like a charm.

You’re going to fix this before 10.1 final, RIGHT?? :-)

Do you think this modification may result in a non-booting host machine?